Named after chestnut trees on the hill, Chestnut Ridge Park features 1,213 acres of land. The park is situated just 10 miles east of Morgantown, WV on Interstate 68 at exit 15 / Coopers Rock. To date, it’s the greatest of all Parks under the Erie County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Forestry.
Erie County acquired Chestnut Ridge Park property in 1926, and it’s one of the first parks the county founded. Works Progress Administration improved the park’s facility and landscape throughout the 1930s. Amazingly, today the Chestnut Ridge Park is acknowledged for year-round winter and summer activities.
Chestnut Ridge Park mission statement
Chestnut Ridge Park is a non-profit organization missioned at;
- Working with the Department of Parks, Recreation, and Forestry to restore its original beauty
- Promoting public awareness about the projects identified and resources available within the park
- Raising funds to supplement those offered by the county budget to maintain a minimal operating budget
- Providing natural recreation opportunities to Wester New York community all year-round
- Protecting the region’s important scenic areas, cultural and environmental heritage significance
Park Attractions and Facilities
- The park is spacious to facilitate outdoor activities such as; picnic grills, sledding, hiking, tennis, disc golf, snowmobiling in all seasons
- The Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra summer concert offers an amphoteric-like setting.
- Enthusiastic winter sports such as toboggan chute, downhill skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
- Small waterfalls that feature External Flame Falls
- Wildlife watching scenery, scenic driving, and trail explorations in sledding hill during summer
- There are two indoor rental buildings available. Besides this, there exist various shelters from May 1st to Oct 15th, and Commissioners Cabin for rent from Apr 1st to Nov 30th.
- The casinos’ Lower Meeting Room is available for rent year-round. The room has a capacity of 40 people. Thus, it’s great for birthday parties, but alcohol is prohibited in the room.
- Grateful Grid Catering services
Chestnut Ridge Park aims at providing natural recreation activities and facilities.